Monday, March 22, 2010

Who You Callin' Crusty?


(C-Day minus revisions, defence) I am working, slowly but surely through the revisions offered me by Supervisor. Some are difficult because I am so emotionally attached these sentences with which I have spent seemingly years. Other revisions are difficult because it is just hard to know what to do with them. I am currently stuck on one of those. Supervisor recommended I read an article (which he also provided me) in order to address one of my thesis concepts. I had an opportunity to spend some time at a cafe, so thought this the perfect time to throw down some intensive reading. Mistake. Not a mistake to read it at the cafe, it was a mistake to read it altogether. This article, from 1986 is an airtight (from my perspective - and I want to refute it) critique of one of my concepts which, up to this point, I really liked. What to do? Well, it dealt with Marxist concepts, so I phoned the crustiest, Marxiest guy I know: (former) Roommate.

In explaining this dilemma to f-Roommate, an important realization came to fore. He asked me "Is this concept really important to your thesis?" To which I replied "Yeah, it is fairly important, and I do like it. It sits really well with everything else, and besides Supervisor suggested I include it when we went over things at my proposal defence..." It was here that I realized something. Supervisor recommended me one useful article, written in 1982, then also recommended the very article, written in 1986 that refutes that article. It isn't like this article just came out and he didn't realize it existed, it's only 2 years younger than me. This is troubling... f-Roommate found this funny, me...not so much.

Fortunately, just hacking it out verbally seemed to help. It was good to talk about it (out loud) and also to hear some ideas on how to address the issue. We will see soon enough if this adequately addresses the issue so that I can resubmit it and then maybe be referred to another article from 1988 that refutes everything else. Can't wait!

'There may have been one of these' song of the day: Communication Breakdown - Led Zeppelin

No comments: