Thursday, June 5, 2008

Boy in the Bubble

(Day 66) I write you this entry from deep within the academic bubble: the Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities.  This is one of the largest collections of academics, experts and shut-ins the world has to offer.  People present the collected result of their research, their toils, their life's work in some cases... to be attended by a handful of people that came to see someone else anyways.  

I am, however, pleased with how my presentation went, to a modest sized audience, a large part of which were fans (read: friends) from Victoria.  The presentation that followed mine was also very interesting and well done.  What I was not impressed with however, was the seemingly increasing amount of disrespect and disregard that is being shown Congress delegates by the administration of this event.  Discussants (people who have read the papers of presenters beforehand, meant to provide useful and thoughtful critiques) have been outrageously terrible across all sessions I have seen.  My own discussant managed to ask one question (between two participants) which asked (inevitably for me to answer) to relate my topic/presentation to that of my fellow presenter (something that is a part of their job description).  I think I should be allowed to put his job on my CV (resume).  

That was my more academic critique of Congress, here is my more personal.  Taking in account the amount that was paid in order to present (a task that, considering the amount of hoops to jump through, nearly required a degree to complete) I am disappointed at the amount of swag given out.  We received a small tote bag (much like the ones that they sell at the grocery store for $0.49) filled with advertisements for University programs, a journal that is probably available online and some other random filings.  How about some blank paper?  How about a pen?  Excuse the stationary theme here, but aren't those staple items for an academic event?

The program for the event wasn't even made fully available to us!  Some associations received nice bound editions, we received a few sheets of paper stapled together that didn't even provide all the information that was needed.  On top of that, when I asked for one of these incomplete and shameful documents (not in those words of course) I was given a look of scorn and asked for identification (proof of my membership with the CSA - my membership amongst the hundred or so here).  As if they could not spare the $0.09 expense to run off another copy.  So, to you CSA, I give an emphatic disapproval.  In less than academic terms: you suck.  

the 'boiling point' song of the day: We're Not Going To Take It - Twisted Sister

p.s.  on a lighter note: aside from the rain, Vancouver has been great!  The people on the bus have been friendly, food has been great and it has been an overly enjoyable visit.  

2 comments:

amk said...

Wow! I can't believe your discussant! That's just pitiful. Saskatoon 1, Vancouver 0.

Glad you're having fun though. Come back soon so I have people to work with.

PS - Love your song of the day.

amk said...

PPS - and your title.
: )