Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Field (of Dreams) of Expertise

(Day 71) An important aspect of Congress (and all other conferences) is the opportunity to network with other academics. Networking and glad-handing is what academe is all about. It is a chance to meet potential supervisors to work with in the future, fellows with whom to collaborate in writing and even just people with insights into our fields. In looking for potential supervisors, it sort of feels like I am shopping for a person. With all of the experiences the MA has left me thus far (being in a department ill-fitted to my topic first and foremost), finding a suitable future supervisor is of the utmost importance. It's like shopping for a car, or a house or a pizza when you are really hungry - it requires careful thought and consideration (mmmm mmm, well at least now I know what is for dinner tonight).

One thing you can't shop for, unfortunately, is the people who you do your degree with: the cohort. I think this is something oft overlooked, but the people in a department with you have a huge impact on the enjoyability of one's tenure. In taking courses together, discussing theory over dinners, and editing countless papers/proposals/ramblings (thanks guys!) you become (hopefully) very close. You also become very close to their thesis topics. I have, since joining the department, become a minor expert on moral panics, global citizenship, organic food systems and identification cards to name a few of 'my' new areas. Maybe if I can make the others in my cohort enough of an expert in my field, I can get them to write my thesis as well. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I can dream, right?

the 'all I have left to do is the thesis' song of the day: Gotta Get Myself Into It - The Rapture

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone is looking for a pinch hitter or two to knock their thesis out of the park. In fact, I'm still working on recruiting you, my friend.

Oh boy, I sure can carry a metaphor, can't I? I think it was the field of dreams reference that was my supreme inspiration here. They came out of the corn, man. They came out of the *corn*.

Ahem. Ummm...yeah....