Friday, May 9, 2008

The Name Kierkegaard Even Sounds Pretentious

(Day 39) It is inevitable that as a thesis writing grad student that I will land in cafes and pubs to do much of my reading, writing and relaxing. This is both a luxury of the 'job' and one of the things I really loathe. The cafes that I find myself in always have really corny puns for names like "On the Bean" or "In the Espresso Lane", and our grad student lounge does me proud with the uber-pretentious name: IQ Bistro. The similarities between the grad lounge and the cafes is that very characteristic of pretention. I hate overhearing people's suspiciously loud conversations about the subtle differences between Kierkegaard and Proust while they sip on their low-fat, non-whip, extra tall triple double caramel macchiato-chinos with a macadamia nut and a whisper of cinnamon.

Then of course, the ultimate joy comes with the fact that it is usually those very same pretentious characters that become employed at those cafes. So now I have some Rousseau reading, wannabe social do-gooders not only surrounding me but also serving me my drink as well. But when I get that drink, I can't help but notice the coffee cup with skillfully drawn sign that says "karma." With only a hint of irony (listening Alanis?) would a pawn in one of the largest publicized exploiters of South American farmers ask for 'karma' and actually expect money (tips) by that. Oh but don't worry, they carry two fair trade brands of coffee right over there behind the ninety six non-fair trade (read: popular) brands.

Perhaps I should start dictating my thesis aloud when I am in these places. I would probaby feel more like "one of the gang" and out of self-conscious display likely end up using more sophisticated (read: bigger) words in my thesis. At least that way I can attempt at drowning out the discussion from the baristas about how they really relate to the struggling plebeians they once saw while on vacation in the tropical south.

the 'this is what cafes are for' song of the day: Coffee and Conversation - Joni Mitchell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess those loud conversations are juxtaposed against the whispers of cinnamon.

shhhhhh...it's cinnamon.

Unknown said...

Kierkegaard ain't pretentious, I love him; Got an A on my masters thesis, Hume, Kant, and Kierkegaard on the project of philosophy.