Sunday, May 25, 2008

Time, It's on My Side, Yes It Is

(Day 55) You can't say that I didn't warn you. I said in the last post that I would be heading up to the cabin. There are however, two things that you may not have known. 1. When I say 'for the long weekend' it doesn't necessarily mean that. Being a grad student, I am not really obligated to even know the day of the week. I am usually lucky to know the month (is it June yet?). In fact, I didn't even leave for the 'long weekend' until Sunday, and I just got back today. Life is grand. 2. When I say 'the cabin', I mean to say that I am going off the grid: no phone, no internet, no communication with the outide world. That would be defeating. To escape time and deadlines only to be enslaved by your temporal restrictions? Nope.

From this week off the grid, I learned two things (more than that really, but only two to share). 1. When someone who is very much 'connected' technologically goes offline, trouble begins. My inbox e-overlfloweth with e-useless e-junk. My voicemail consists of a myriad of voices expressing worry and concern about my whereabouts. I was half expecting to receive junk mail advertisements for milk with my digital image on the side of the e-carton. 2. I have a whole lot more free time when I am offline. Who knew there were so many hours in a day?! This of course totally threw my internal non-calendar for a loop. I didn't even know what day to think it might not be.

Well, I now know it is Sunday, so I think I will just go ahead and take one more day off.

'Life (as a grad student) is grand' song of the day: Permenent Vacation - Aerosmith

*** And a word of congratulations to Mikey for swinging into Med school like the pirate he is. For the next rock star doctor of Canadian Medecine, the song 'Cover of the Rolling Stone' by Dr. Hook***

5 comments:

Firebelly said...

I can track exactly the amount of brain cells you lost on your vacation by how many spelling mistakes you made in your last post... also known as a permanent overflow of outside medicine : )

Uncle 22 said...

I went to the "Cottage" as opposed to the 'cabin' -- & I could only take a weekend, you know friday night--all day saturday & then home on sunday -- must be grand to be a Grad student!!
I also have to work on the cottage not go off the grid??
Maybe I should post some photos of this guy when he was really drinking milk --har har!!

Reed said...

Funny, I can track precisely how productive H, your company is by the number of employees it has commenting on my blog...

amk said...

I used your vacation to justify my own slackery. You know, "well my friends are taking the time off, maybe I can just take this one day to do nothing..." Except I never went anywhere, never relaxed, and always felt guilty. C'est las vie.

Glad to have you back!

1st Reed Daughter said...

You're making me rue my decision to become a high school teacher... wait... 2 months off in the summer... never mind.