Wednesday, May 7, 2008

That's Quite the Company You Keep

(Day 37) For many years, I have (for the most part) had long hair of great volume. Being a long haired fellow, one of my worries has been that I would start losing my hair. Not a terrible worry, as I am a former head shaver, so I know that I don't have an awkward shaped head. I think the clean cut look is 'in' anyways, it would be like Nature's way of telling me I need to be cooler.

One of the leading causes of balding (aside from genetics of course) is stress (there could be other 'leading causes' considering that I made up that 'fact'). Being a grad student, constantly under the gun of looming deadlines and sky high standards, I always assumed this was the road I was headed down. I was so expecting to start pulling out tufts of hair that I didn't see the greying coming. I got (read: noticed) a grey hair yesterday! Not just grey, but almost silver, like white-hot, see it from across the room white... in my beard.


Now this is something that I could embrace I think. A white beard?! Yes, please. Put me in the same category as Santa Claus, Gandalf the Wizard, Freud, the Ayatollah, Papa Smurf, even My Supervisor! You know what the common denominator is here? Wisdom and respect. Well maybe not the Ayatollah...and nobody ever said how smart Santa was... and Papa Smurf ain't never got no respect. Okay, correction: the common denominator is the cool beard, and that is enough for me. Maybe I should work even harder, get that stress going, and land myself a beard o' wisdom/respect. I'm taking it back.

Song 'to grow a beard to' of the day: Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
(Fun fact: the last name of the drummer of ZZ Top, is Beard, and he was the only one in the band without one - only a mustache! Didn't I just blow your mind?)

2 comments:

amk said...

Love grey hair. Good for you. : )

On another note, my supervisor is the poor grad students Queen of 'mystery sources'. Le sigh.

Anonymous said...

"Not just grey, but almost silver, like white-hot"

white-hot, eh? hmmm. well, I'm glad to see you've already got the spin down. between that white-hot beard and your beautifully shaped head, it appears your gorgeous quotient is just increasing by the year...(by the hair?) oh baby.