Tuesday, May 27, 2008

...And in the Dream the Hamburger Was Eating ME!!



(Day 57) Every once and awhile tasks arise that require my attention, away from my thesis...okay, this happens quite often with varying degrees of importance (Star Wars marathon: moderately high to very high importance). I will be presenting the preliminary findings of my thesis at this year's Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities in Vancouver. Although highly related to thesis writing, this does require quite a bit of attention away from the thesis itself. A paper has to be written and a power-point slide show has to be constructed, courage to speak to other academics has to be mustered - there is lots to do.

Power points are, however, a distinct pleasure for me in the academic process. It is where words and ideas come alive in image form. They say a picture says a thousand words, but I generally use each picture to convey about 250 (that's one double spaced page). Each page of my paper (all of which is lifted out of my thesis) is given a face and character (thus giving my thesis a face also). I like the idea of my thesis having a face (see post here on my enjoyment of title pages - the textual face). It makes it nicer, friendlier, more approachable...more creepy (c'mon, a thesis with a face - that is creepy)? It would definitely make the feeling of my thesis eating me alive a lot scarier.

In any event, here is your song as well as the face of my thesis (Pandora)...

the 'that's what I would say if it had a face too' song of the day: Oh La La - The Faces

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your powerpoints are a distinct pleasure for anybody who gets to see them. a smart little cookie and creative, to boot -- you rule!