Tuesday, May 13, 2008

When It Rains, I Bore

(Day 43) So I have finished a rough draft (read: very rough draft) of my first complete chapter (Chapter 2 oddly enough). What that means is that I get a day off, which suits me quite nicely as today is the first day that it has rained in a while. When the sun takes a break, so do I...at least for as long as it works as a parallel. I imagine myself changing that parallel when I want to go to the beach or just play in the sunshine. Another reason for the break is that the next chapter to be written is likely the Methods section. This will almost certainly be the most boring section to read/write. Even methodologists think their field is boring.

Apparently I do the same things when I am on an official break as when I am unofficially procrastinating from work: clean, tidy and organize. The only difference I suppose would be the acknowledgement of the fact that I will not be working. It is much more powerful to declare that you will not be working, and then to not work, then it would be to aim to work, and then not accomplish anything. It is hard to fail when you are not trying to do anything. Unless I accidentally stumble into my thesis document and write a page, I will be successful today, and as far as failures go, that one isn't bad either.

As for the upcoming long weekend, (May 2-4: a concept foreign to born-in-BCers) it will be filled with extremes of both work and play. When I am working (and yes that will happen) it will be my data analysis, which is essentially the heart of my thesis - super intense, and slightly scary. When I am relaxing, it will be on the beautiful Sunshine Coast with E. (my fave gal) and S. (my eldest bro), soaking in the rays and swimming up a storm (a storm of lethargy and more sunshine). Hopefully extreme relaxation will help conjure up extreme productivity. Regardless, if I fail, I am still on the Sunshine Coast and that can't be bad at all.

'it's almost the long weekend in BC' song of the day: Relax Baby Be Cool: Stereo Total

No comments: