Sunday, April 6, 2008

Microsoft 1, Reed 0

(Day 6) Breakthrough! I accomplished actual writing...ish. Well, you see, this is how it is. As a lifelong student I have learned to take some shortcuts, both in life and in writing. For example in life, Chinese food leftovers can be refried and rolled into burritos...rice, chicken...voila. In writing, my summary and introduction from 'Thesis Proposal' becomes summary and introduction of 'Thesis'. Just change all the 'will investigate' to 'investigated' and again, voila.

This however leads me to my point...there is one. MS Autoformat is the bain of my existence. For those unfamiliar, Autoformat is Microsoft's attempt at 'making life easier' by making decisions for me. They do this by changing things to how they think they "should" look. Numbered lists "should" be indented, fractions "should" be raised, etc etc. However, more often that not, what Microsoft thinks and what Mattreed thinks is different. Not only different, but opposite. It is always the same difference that we battle over though. Microsoft wants to change what I have typed and I don't want them to. Apparently just leaving things as they are does not compute.

Cutting and pasting presents a unique challenge as you have the formats from two different documents battling out for who can be the style Matt does not know how to change. I don't understand how Microsoft decides who wins these format battles, all I know is that I am certainly the one losing. Although it pains me to say it, if Microsoft can't improve their Autoformat, maybe Matt "should" switch to a Mac.

The 'just as long as they aren't "auto" ' song of the day: the Format - First Single

2 comments:

bonzo said...

Hehe, still stuck with good ol' MS-Word eh? Funny, i remember having the same problems with the same software when I was writing my own thesis... 7 years ago!! Wow, it's good to know these things don't change with time...

For mysterious reasons people seem to stick to these "i-know-what-you-wanna-do-and-i-will-do-it-for-you" MS software. I guess they love the challenge...

But as an option, there are plenty of excellent open source word processors around...

amk said...

Make the switch! The glorious, life-affirming switch that is becoming a Mac user!

This entry totally made me laugh out loud (I refuse to abbriviate that). Anyone who has used Word can sympathise, I think.

word.