Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Worst Epiphany Ever

(Day 8) So today I was reading some of the texts that I have pulled as a part of my sample. The key source I was reading today was a patent for the technology required for a website to recommend a song to a listener. Despite the coolness of a website that recommends music to you, the mathematics behind it is decidedly uncool. Not only is it decidedly uncool, it is an uncoolness that is monumentally boring to read about too. This is disasterous...it isn't really, I am being melodramatic, but do you want to read it?

In any event, the reason why I bring up this uncoolness, which is probably a few degrees more uncool for you as you likely have no reason to care about how the sites operate anyways, is the thought process it started. If the years of hard work by the creators of Pandora bores me to the degree that I whine about it here, what will my thesis do (under the very large assumption that it will even be read)? Will my thesis cause some poor grad student researching those that research music recommendation sites (Ha! There is a boring/uncool study) to be bored out of his/her mind? And Sociology is particularly bad for making up new words, so I know that this is going to cause trouble too. They will be bored and confused.

Perhaps this should be a turning point for me, an epiphany if you will - my thesis should be interesting! It makes so much sense, it should be something I already know. But I guess that is why I came to grad school...to learn.

the 'worst epiphany ever' song of the day: Seeing Things for the First Time - Black Crowes

2 comments:

1st Reed Daughter said...

I'm not sure that this qualifies as the "worst epiphany ever". Wouldn't this be considerably worse if it was your own work that bored you to tears upon reading? Worse still, perhaps you can imagine the scenario where you have to read someone else's thesis that bores you to the point of falling asleep after you agreed to spend you life with said author only to realize that you have made a monumental mistake in judgement of your partner's talents. Not that this would ever happen though... :)

amk said...

My advice is: get your thesis done AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!

Otherwise it doesn't matter how cool your topic is (and it IS cool), it will get progressively uncool and boring the more time you spend with it. And then you'll cry yourself to sleep every night that you go to bed knowing it's waiting for you in the morning.

go go go!