Friday, April 4, 2008

Where in the World is C. Santiago (2008)

(Day 4) I am reading a book recommended by Committee Member 3, a part of the list of sources he suggested. It is proving to be a superbly helpful book, but it took me 3 months to find it, because all the info I had was, "ummm, it is in a D. Lyon book, I forget the title."

This goes along with his other suggestions, like the one where he can't recall the author, the one that was in a journal of which he doesn't know the title, and of course the supremely enjoyable (read: vague) clues to an ambiguous possibility of a source: "There was something written on such and such, no idea when or where...or by whom. But have a look around." Awesome. I'll get on that. In any event, 3 months later, I found it.

Am I upset about this apparent lack of concrete help? No. Why? When I do manage to track down one of these "mystery sources", I get a feeling of accomplishment, as if I solved a crime (which it should be). It's truly satisfying. That, and of course, all of these mystery sources have ended up being key resources in my thesis formulations. Wouldn't you know it, doctors sometimes know what they are talking about, even if they are a touch forgetful.*

*This is not necessarily true. Doctors are often not forgetful at all, and probably more often, don't know what they are talking about anyways. If only those that were forgetful could just forget what they don't know anyways. Follow?

the 'I hate to use the same band, but I really feel like a gum-shoe' song of the day: Can't You Figure It Out? - Sloan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you just had to say gumshoe, didn't you.

congrats on the beginnings of getting 'er done. after all, anyone who does thesis work on saturdays deserves some kind of recognition.