Friday, April 18, 2008

Who is General Error and Why is He Reading My Files?

(Day 19) Today was momentous! I am officially finished all of my marking, as well, today I wrapped up the final session in the Sociology Colloquium series I have been facilitating. Both mark moments of great happiness for me in being done, as well as two instances where it is most evident that I am in fact at the mercy of new technology...the very topic of my thesis!

As I was setting up the projector for the colloquium, I caught myself quietly whispering, "Please work, please don't crap out, please oh please, give me an image on the screen." This comes from the long and sordid history that projectors and I have. Last summer in a presentation at Congress (on the topic of new technology, of course) my power point presentation failed me. How did I overcome my disappointment, you ask? I organized a Sociology Colloquium series so that I could deliver my presentation again. The human spirit endures.

It must be the grand irony of researching/critiquing new technology, because yet again, (during the session I myself organized) the presentation power point did not work. But luckily for me (and for the projector) it worked today, and the presentations went off without a hitch. That being said, in writing about my conquering of this technology, I was tripped up by both the computer and the internet and now find myself posting a day late. They'll get you around every corner.

the 'oh computers, when will you stop screwing me' song of the day: Ain't No Easy Way - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

No comments: