Monday, April 28, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus Make the Thesis Go Round and Round

(Day 28) Today I had to register for the summer semester (that starts in 2 days). It isn't that I am dying to do it, but my bus pass won't work if I don't register. So I am now registered in the SOCI 599 Thesis course, which essentially means nothing. Well that is not true, it does mean that I have probaby the most expensive bus pass in the free world. I think it might be cheaper to withdraw from school, buy a bus, then write my thesis on my own time.

I do really enjoy reading on the bus though, it is among my favourite places to read. Perhaps it is the lulling comfort of the bus winding around the Victoria streets, or maybe the beautiful scenery of all the beaches and greenery on the way to campus, but most likely it is the rogues gallery of obnoxious, boisterous and unruly bus riding characters that force me to stare at my book so hard it nearly bursts into flames. Intense reading results in intense comprehension.

When I am reading, I try to employ different types of underlining to denote different things. If I underline something it is quotable, if it is a wavy underline, it means I have issue with that point, or if I circle it, it means it is important but I don't know what to do with it yet. Doing my reading on the bus has forced me to re-evaluate this system. Now it doesn't matter what I am thinking, if a passage is important it gets a squiggly line that goes under and through the words and often onto the other page. I suppose that makes me the unruly bus riding character...cue the rim shot, that's a cheesy chessy joke.

'because it would be easier to read/write on' song of the day: Hard Road - Sam Roberts

3 comments:

leaker said...

when did you start playing chess on the bus?

1st Reed Daughter said...

Well, at least you're not falling asleep... right? Should we be concerned? :)

amk said...

Oh my god! I love the pun!
You just made my day.